Samek Art Museum Guide
Job no: 496488
Position type: part-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
The Samek Art Museum seeks casual Museum Guides to work during University breaks and on an as needed basis. This position will report directly to the preparator and operations coordinator and will also regularly work with the public programs and outreach manager. The person in this position will be expected to fulfill his/her duties in accordance with campus, state, and federal policies and laws as well as in keeping with museum and gallery professional practices.
The Samek Art Museum is a program of Bucknell University that creates meaningful encounters between artists, students, scholars, the public, and works of art. These encounters occur in the Samek Gallery, the Downtown Gallery, the Collection Study Room, and across campus in pop-up exhibitions and permanent art installations. Presenting visual fine art in critical contexts consistent with Bucknell's high academic standards, the Museum challenges students and extends the intellectual life of campus in an informal lifelong learning environment.
Security and Operations:
• Open and close gallery for public hours, contact Public Safety to assist as needed
• Manage cleanliness of exhibition spaces
• Maintain security of the gallery and collection
• Keep preparator and operations coordinator up-to-date on condition of galleries and artwork
• Occasional art-handling and installation assistance
• Additional duties as assigned
Museum Docenting and Visitor Services:
• Serve as public face for the museum and first point of contact for visitors
• Greet and engage audience with artwork, form and articulate thoughtful responses to each exhibition
• Daily tally of visitor attendance
• Conduct surveys of audience engagement and complete monthly visitor feedback survey recording visitor questions and concerns
• Occasional opportunities for after-hours special events and outreach programming
• Professional experience in functional areas detailed in job description
• Strong interest in art, art history, museum studies or education
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively as an independent self-starter
• Must be available Saturdays, Sundays and Bucknell University recesses
• Outgoing and friendly demeanor with the public
• Flexible availability to work Tuesday-Sunday, noon-5 and evenings as scheduled
• Must be available for mandatory meetings and training sessions
• Must be able to lift 10-20 pounds occasionally
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 50 majors and 60 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,600 undergraduate and 100 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its students. Residential life is vibrant with about 150 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletic teams, a robust arts culture, and a strong student commitment to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Located in central Pennsylvania, Lewisburg features a variety of restaurants, beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), charming shops and boutiques, and the Barnes and Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. About 33,000 residents live in the region.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is about three hours from New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living here is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and many opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School is consistently ranked among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend