Communications Photographer & Production Assistant
Job no: 497578
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Other, Communications / PR / Marketing
The role of the Communications Photographer & Production Assistant at Bucknell University is vital in shaping and effectively conveying our stories and brand messages through our print and digital media platforms. Reporting to the Senior Communications Photographer & Photo Editor for Bucknell Magazine, the Communications Photographer & Production Assistant is not just responsible for creating and implementing engaging photography content, but is also heavily involved in the culling, editing and processing of photography from in-house sources as well as freelance and student photographers. This position requires a deep understanding of the digital landscape and the ability to produce and edit high-quality photo content that resonates across various channels and platforms. As a creative and skilled photo editor, the Communications Photographer & Production Assistant works closely with our Senior Communications Photographer & Photo Editor for Bucknell Magazine to communicate the diverse essence of Bucknell University, ensuring visually compelling print and digital materials, and helping maintain our library of digital content. This position is part of a lively, fast-paced and collaborative team environment.
• In collaboration with the Senior Communications Photographer & Photo Editor for Bucknell Magazine and other colleagues, conceptualize, plan and manage interesting and creative photo shoots that support the Division’s communications and marketing strategy for use in a variety of mediums, including but not limited to the Bucknell website, various digital and print publications, social media channels and University news stories.
• Assist in culling, editing, color correcting, adding metadata and archiving of photos taken by outside sources, freelancers and student photographers.
• Help to manage the Division’s Digital Asset Management System, PhotoShelter, and RAID backup to archive and share photos, and maintain clear and consistent naming conventions and robust metadata to meet the needs of the various offices within the Division.
• Knowledge in CMS and ability to assist in preparing, processing and choosing images for the Bucknell website.
• Capture creative and compelling professional-quality images representing the full range of University activities both on and off campus.
• Produce and process content of the highest quality, authenticity and accuracy that reflects and supports Bucknell’s brand messages, graphic and editorial standards and style, as well adheres to copyright laws regarding use of copyrighted material.
• Maintain up-to-date logs of imaging progress and communicate updates to appropriate stakeholders.
• Set up, shoot and process studio-style headshots of Bucknell employees. Knowledge of studio and on-location portrait photography required.
• Utilize Adobe Creative Suite and other tools for photo culling, editing, retouching and processing.
• Assist in photography shoots as needed.
• Pursue professional development opportunities to stay up-to-date with technology and creative approaches in the field.
• Contribute to and meet the requirements of brand/channel content calendars. Coordinate with colleagues and adhere to deadlines to support content creation and publishing.
• Foster a work environment that promotes knowledge, respect and skill development for engaging with individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
• Perform additional assigned duties.
• Bachelor's degree in photography, digital media, visual communication or a related field, with at least one year of professional experience producing and editing photos. Alternatively, five years of professional experience can substitute for the educational requirement.
• Evidence of creative ability and technical skill demonstrated through a comprehensive portfolio.
• Demonstrated experience in photo editing and management tools such as Adobe Creative Suite products, including Photoshop, Bridge and Lightroom, color correction, manipulation, metadata management, DAM software and archiving.
• Proven ability to capture compelling moments and stories through photography.
• Demonstrated knowledge of studio photography, portraiture and lighting techniques.
• Strong organizational and project management skills with the ability to meet tight deadlines, solve problems and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
• Demonstrate an independent, detail-oriented and creative approach to photo editing, supported by excellent verbal and written communication skills and a strong attention to detail.
• Ability to maintain a flexible schedule, including working occasional evenings and weekends.
• Possession of a valid driver's license.
• Applicants will not be considered without a comprehensive portfolio demonstrating their creative ability and technical skill in photography.
• Proficiency in shooting images and videos using Nikon DSLRs or mirrorless.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively capture a diverse range of subjects, including portraits, landscapes, buildings and events, suitable for both print and digital media.
• Experience photographing higher education.
• Understanding of HTML coding and concepts related to responsive web design.
• Possession of FAA Part 107 Remote Pilot Certification.
• The ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds of production equipment.
• The ability to work outdoors under seasonal conditions
This is a full-time, year round, benefits eligible position.
This role is not budgeted for visa sponsorship at this time, all candidates must be authorized to work in the US at the time of submission of the application.
This is a Staff Exempt position with a hiring range of $44,60-55,750 (E06). The offer rate will be based on a review of the candidate's credentials compared to the qualifications of the position, internal equity, and our overall compensation philosophy.
Eligible full- and part-time employees are compensated beyond base salary through our total rewards package that includes (but is not limited to):
- flexible scheduling options determined by role;
- medical, prescription drug, vision, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance options
- an outstanding 10% employer contribution to your retirement plan (no contribution requirement for non-exempt positions)
- generous paid time off, including vacation and sick time, a community service day, and 19 paid holidays (including two full weeks off for Winter Break!)
- full-time and part-time members of the faculty and staff are eligible for tuition remission for themselves. Additionally, full-time members of the faculty and staff are eligible for tuition remission for their spouse/spousal equivalent and are eligible for various tuition programs for their children. Credit for full-time benefits eligible employment at other institutions of higher education will be applied to waiting periods.
- a comprehensive employee wellness program including program incentives
- a myriad of other benefits, including parental leave, an employee assistance program, fitness center membership, and the power of your Bucknell ID card
To learn more about Bucknell's benefits, click here! (*Eligibility criteria and waiting periods may apply.)
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. We endeavor to enhance our capacity to value and capitalize on the cultural richness that diversity brings. We encourage all individuals to apply and do not discriminate in admissions, employment, educational programs and/or activities on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, sex/gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, marital or family status, military or veteran status, or genetic information.
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 60 majors and 70 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,700 undergraduate and 30 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors on scholarly and artistic projects.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its undergraduate students. Student life is vibrant with about 200 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletics teams, a robust arts culture, and a commitment among many of the students to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Lewisburg (pop. 5,700) is located in central Pennsylvania and features beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), a variety of restaurants, shops and boutiques, and the Barnes & Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. It is the seat of Union County, which has about 44,000 residents.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is within a three-hour drive of New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and outstanding opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School consistently ranks among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend