Job no: 497570
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Other, Finance / Business Support, Clerical / Support
Reporting to the Director of Payroll, this full-time position is responsible for payroll processing to assure that employees are paid timely and correctly. This process includes transaction processing, handling phone calls, emails and traffic flow. This position works closely with other members of the Financial Services Office, the Finance Office and Human Resources along with assisting employees (students, faculty and staff) across the University.
• Responsible for running and troubleshooting payroll processes and resolving data conflict conditions that prevent employees from being paid timely and accurately. This includes coordination of efforts with Human Resources to resolve issues and enter adjustments.
•Review time and attendance records while ensuring that all applicable payroll rules and regulations are adhered to, as well as State and Federal guidelines. Contacts workers and supervisors as needed for corrections and approvals.
•Create a positive experience for constituents by providing customer service and training to the campus community and organizations outside Bucknell concerning all matters related to the payroll function, including, but not limited to, account access and updates, time entry and approvals, general tax withholding, and benefit withholding requirements.
•Perform various audits & adjustments such as payroll accounting adjustments, credit week audits, etc.
•Distribute mass emails & communications related to various projects and initiatives.
•Works with nonresident alien students to gather and assess applicable documentation to assure appropriate tax withholding and reporting.
•Assist with the preparation and distribution of year-end W-2 statements.
•Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
•Support the Finance Office in other areas as appropriate and other duties as assigned.
• 1-year experience in an accounting or payroll department setting.
• High School Diploma or GED.
• Knowledge of payroll accounting practices and procedures.
• Demonstrated experience analyzing numbers & data in order to determine accurate transactions.
• Familiarity with payroll tax withholding requirements.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of constituents in both written and oral forms.
• Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work with confidential data.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to troubleshoot situations and manage multiple tasks and deadlines.
• Ability to exercise sound judgment, discretion, and tact in a professional setting.
• Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
• Demonstrated experience with Excel and Word, including the ability to effectively use formulas, organize, interpret and analyze complex data.
• Appreciation for and understanding of a mission-oriented University including a focus on exemplary service and the ability to work within a collaborative team environment with cross-functional teams.
• A demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.
• 3+ years’ experience of payroll processing responsibilities.
• Associate degree or higher in business or related field.
• Strong knowledge of tax and wage laws.
• Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC) or Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) designation.
• Experience in a higher education or other non-profit environment.
• Experience with payroll requirements for international hires such as F-1, J-1 and other foreign national employment statuses.
• Experience with complex enterprise resource systems; Workday Payroll a plus.
Ability to lift 10 lbs
Repetitive finger movement.
This is a full-time, year round, benefits eligible position.
This role is not budgeted for visa sponsorship at this time, all candidates must be authorized to work in the US at the time of submission of the application.
This is a Staff Non-exempt position with a hiring range of $18.40 - 23 (NE09). The offer rate will be based on a review of the candidate's credentials compared to the qualifications of the position, internal equity, and our overall compensation philosophy.
Eligible full- and part-time employees are compensated beyond base salary through our total rewards package that includes (but is not limited to):
- flexible scheduling options determined by role;
- medical, prescription drug, vision, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance options
- an outstanding 10% employer contribution to your retirement plan (no contribution requirement for non-exempt positions)
- generous paid time off, including vacation and sick time, a community service day, and 19 paid holidays (including two full weeks off for Winter Break!)
- full-time and part-time members of the faculty and staff are eligible for tuition remission for themselves. Additionally, full-time members of the faculty and staff are eligible for tuition remission for their spouse/spousal equivalent and are eligible for various tuition programs for their children. Credit for full-time benefits eligible employment at other institutions of higher education will be applied to waiting periods.
- a comprehensive employee wellness program including program incentives
- a myriad of other benefits, including parental leave, an employee assistance program, fitness center membership, and the power of your Bucknell ID card
To learn more about Bucknell's benefits, click here! (*Eligibility criteria and waiting periods may apply.)
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. We endeavor to enhance our capacity to value and capitalize on the cultural richness that diversity brings. We encourage all individuals to apply and do not discriminate in admissions, employment, educational programs and/or activities on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, sex/gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, marital or family status, military or veteran status, or genetic information.
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 60 majors and 70 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,700 undergraduate and 30 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors on scholarly and artistic projects.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its undergraduate students. Student life is vibrant with about 200 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletics teams, a robust arts culture, and a commitment among many of the students to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Lewisburg (pop. 5,700) is located in central Pennsylvania and features beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), a variety of restaurants, shops and boutiques, and the Barnes & Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. It is the seat of Union County, which has about 44,000 residents.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is within a three-hour drive of New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and outstanding opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School consistently ranks among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend