Utilities Technician I/II (Plumber) - 2nd Shift
Job no: 497552
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Facilities, Other
This position serves as the Facilities liaison to the Bucknell community on second shift and acts as the first responder and primary troubleshooter for technical issues. Incumbent shall have thorough working knowledge of heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems and associated equipment as well as water, sewage, oil, gas, steam, condensate and fire sprinkler/prevention systems and associated equipment. Incumbent shall also have fundamental knowledge of electrical systems / electronics and carpentry. The immediate supervisor for this position is the Plumbing Supervisor
* Troubleshoot and repair heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems and associated components. Use diagnostic equipment, line diagrams and campus Building Automation System to identify issues and develop solutions.
* Perform preventive maintenance tasks on HVAC equipment including air handlers, fans, condensing units, air compressors, vacuum pumps, motors and other campus utility system components.
* Periodically monitor the Building Automation System (BAS) for system alarms. Identify cause of alarm and resolve.
* Perform repair/maintenance, inspection and modification of mechanical plumbing systems, equipment and fixtures for domestic water, sewage, gas, oil and fire sprinkler/prevention systems.
* Perform maintenance on campus steam and hydronic systems and associated equipment.
Includes maintaining building steam, condensate, chilled water, and hot water piping systems, pumps, pump motors, steam traps, humidifiers, and heat exchangers.
* Perform repairs and/or replacement of electrical fixtures, devices, and appliances as required.
* Troubleshoot and repair food service equipment as required.
* Perform small carpentry tasks as required.
* Provide first response for elevator outages.
* Maintain maintenance records through site computerized maintenance management system (CMMS) including generating, updating and closing out work orders.
* Adhere to OSHA standards, employ safe practices and follow safety policies/procedures. Use PPE in a safe manner, set examples for others, notify supervisor of potential hazards, and demonstrate good housekeeping habits.
* Support and promote the University’s sustainability efforts.
* Perform other duties as required.
* High School Diploma or equivalent with strong math and shop background
* (Utilities Tech I)
Three years commercial/institutional experience in all areas of facilities maintenance and operation including heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems and associated components, mechanical plumbing systems and associated equipment and basic electrical systems OR two year technical degree from a qualified technical/trade school with emphasis in HVAC, plumbing or electrical along with one year commercial/institutional experience.
* (Utilities Tech II)
Five years commercial/institutional experience in all areas of facilities maintenance and operation including heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems and associated components, mechanical plumbing systems and associated equipment and basic electrical systems OR two year technical degree from a qualified technical/trade school with emphasis in HVAC, plumbing or electrical along with three year commercial/institutional experience.
* Thorough working knowledge of heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems and associated equipment.
* Working knowledge of water, sewage, oil, gas, steam, condensate and fire sprinkler/prevention systems and associated equipment.
* Working knowledge of electrical systems.
* Working knowledge of methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in the HVAC and plumbing trade as well as applicable federal, state, and local health and safety code requirements.
* Ability to interpret engineering drawings and specifications to determine layout for mechanical systems.
* Ability to understand oral and written instructions and procedures.
* Computer literacy.
* Ability to work independently and as a team member; take initiative; use good judgment; and communicate effectively.
* Strong customer-focus and time management skills.
* Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.
* A valid driver's license and the ability to drive University vehicles.
* This position is classified as part of essential services. Individual is required to report to work even if campus has a delayed opening, early closing, or is closed, unless instructed otherwise by facilities supervisor; or when the individual has concerns related to their personal safety.
* A post offer criminal background and driving record check, drug screening and physical will be conducted.
* Must communicate closely and effectively with supervisors, peers and various groups and departments throughout the campus to provide reliable building/utility systems and support campus activities and events.
* Use sound judgment and make decisions by gathering all relevant information and analyzing it in a logical manner. Seeks advice and assistance from peers and supervisors when needed.
* Able to work as a valuable team member with other maintenance technicians, contractors and University personnel. Willing to share information and provide assistance at all times. Willing to accept work assignments and follow directions.
* Work with minimal supervision. Take the lead in identifying, analyzing, and correcting problems and deficiencies, with appropriate input from coworkers and supervisors.
* This is normally a second shift, weekday position, but may require occasional first shift work.
* Two year technical degree from a qualified technical or trade school with emphasis in HVAC, plumbing or electrical.
* Experience utilizing Building Automation Systems (BAS) or Energy Management Systems (EMS) such as Johnson Control (JCI) and Automated Logic (ALC).
* EPA Refrigerant Recovery Certification
* Lift and carry 75 pounds unassisted.
* Ability to move around and work from heights on the entire work site including climbing ladders, stairs, scaffolds, man lifts, aerial lifts, and entering confined areas and crawl spaces.
* The position requires the following physical movements: climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, and reaching.
* Must be able to perform work in a safe manner and adhere to department’s safe practice guidelines, including but not limited to trenching, lockout/tagout, and confined spaces.
* The scope of the position requires exposure to and use of chemicals, solvents, cleaners, and lubricants common to maintenance work that may be hazardous and/or cause injury if specific instructions regarding their mixture, use, and disposal/storage are not properly followed.
* The person in this position works indoors and outdoors. There is daily exposure to dust, dirt, weather, and temperature changes.
This is a full-time, year round, benefits eligible position.
This role is not budgeted for visa sponsorship at this time, all candidates must be authorized to work in the US at the time of submission of the application.
This is a Staff Non-exempt position with a hiring range of UT I: $19.41-24.26; UT II: $20.77-25.96. The offer rate will be based on a review of the candidate's credentials compared to the qualifications of the position, internal equity, and our overall compensation philosophy.
Eligible full- and part-time employees are compensated beyond base salary through our total rewards package that includes (but is not limited to):
- flexible scheduling options determined by role;
- medical, prescription drug, vision, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance options
- an outstanding 10% employer contribution to your retirement plan (no contribution requirement for non-exempt positions)
- generous paid time off, including vacation and sick time, a community service day, and 19 paid holidays (including two full weeks off for Winter Break!)
- full-time and part-time members of the faculty and staff are eligible for tuition remission for themselves. Additionally, full-time members of the faculty and staff are eligible for tuition remission for their spouse/spousal equivalent and are eligible for various tuition programs for their children. Credit for full-time benefits eligible employment at other institutions of higher education will be applied to waiting periods.
- a comprehensive employee wellness program including program incentives
- a myriad of other benefits, including parental leave, an employee assistance program, fitness center membership, and the power of your Bucknell ID card
To learn more about Bucknell's benefits, click here! (*Eligibility criteria and waiting periods may apply.)
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. We endeavor to enhance our capacity to value and capitalize on the cultural richness that diversity brings. We encourage all individuals to apply and do not discriminate in admissions, employment, educational programs and/or activities on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, sex/gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, marital or family status, military or veteran status, or genetic information.
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 60 majors and 70 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,700 undergraduate and 30 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors on scholarly and artistic projects.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its undergraduate students. Student life is vibrant with about 200 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletics teams, a robust arts culture, and a commitment among many of the students to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Lewisburg (pop. 5,700) is located in central Pennsylvania and features beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), a variety of restaurants, shops and boutiques, and the Barnes & Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. It is the seat of Union County, which has about 44,000 residents.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is within a three-hour drive of New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and outstanding opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School consistently ranks among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend