Social Media Manager
Job no: 497497
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Other, Communications / PR / Marketing
The Social Media Manager is a creative and dynamic communicator who helps develop compelling, effective and measurable content that supports the University’s strategic marketing initiatives. This is a highly visible position — responsible for managing, growing and engaging with diverse audiences across Bucknell University’s social media presence.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Marketing Strategy, the Social Media Manager plays an integral role on the marketing strategy team and also partners with the editorial team to create, curate and share content that is original, authentic, informative and strategic. To thrive in this role, you must be detail-oriented, data-driven and enjoy a collaborative, fast-paced environment. The role requires excellent communication and project-management skills, a high level of proficiency working with social media platforms, strong writing skills and a creative approach to digital storytelling.
●In collaboration with the Associate Director of Marketing Strategy, execute the established social media strategies for each channel.
●Manage the official Bucknell University (@BucknellU) social media presence — currently including Facebook, X , Instagram, LinkedIn and TikTok. Duties include, but are not limited to:
●Maintaining an advanced content calendar for each channel.
●Driving the ideation, creation and curation of meaningful content across all channels that adheres to Bucknell’s brand guidelines and digital voice.
●Executing the distribution of content — including scheduled posts and live, real-time content.
●Ongoing monitoring of owned channels for messages, comments, etc., and engaging as appropriate.
●In collaboration with the Digital Marketing Strategist, track, analyze and report on social media KPIs.
●Manage the University’s student-run Instagram account — including, but not limited to:
●Maintaining a calendar of diverse students who are able to authentically represent the University
●Meeting with students to coach and advise them on their takeover
●Monitoring the account
●Create and execute strategic, creative approaches to sharing stories from the University on social media — both in written and multimedia (i.e. Reels, TikTok) formats.
●Collaborate closely with graphic designers, photographers, videographers, and other creative professionals to produce high-quality visual content.
●Continuously monitor emerging social media trends, platform updates, and industry best practices to enhance strategy and performance.
●Conceptualize and pitch social media campaigns that support the University's goals with regard to brand, enrollment, advancement, reputational and rankings strategies.
●Engage in social listening across all channels — monitoring keywords to uphold the University’s brand and reputation.
●Maintain and supervise a student TikTok team.
●Perform additional duties as assigned.
● Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications or related field
● Professional social media management experience for a public brand/business/organization/team/group, etc., including a record of content creation
● Demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusiveness and the sharing of perspectives across differences
● High level of proficiency working with leading social media platforms such as Instagram, TikTok, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.
● Outstanding written and oral communication skills
● Community management: Experience in building and managing online communities, engaging with followers, responding to comments, and handling inquiries or concerns in a professional and timely manner
● Highly refined attention to detail
● Strong creative and critical thinking skills
● Possess excellent judgment as the manager of a highly visible channel that directly represents the University
● Sensitivity to context and nuance, and a proven ability to navigate diverse and multi-faceted audience segments
● Proven ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines
● Strong proficiency in capturing and creating visual content (both photography and video) for social media — as well as editing capabilities in tools such as Canva, Photoshop, iMovie or in-platform (i.e. Instagram Reels)
● A passion for storytelling, creativity, and staying current with the evolving social media landscape
● A working knowledge of AP style and the ability to write within brand guidelines
●Willing to work a varied schedule that may include travel, and some nights and weekends.
● Strong understanding of user-generated content management, content marketing and reputation management
● Experience with managing and/or hosting live social media videos
● Proficiency in Google Docs, Airtable and Slack, as well as Meltwater or similar social media management tool
This is a full-time, year round benefits eligible position.
This role is not budgeted for visa sponsorship at this time, all candidates must be authorized to work in the US at the time of submission of the application.
This is a Staff Exempt position with a hiring range of $47,760-59,700 (E07). The offer rate will be based on a review of the candidate's credentials compared to the qualifications of the position, internal equity, and our overall compensation philosophy.
Eligible full- and part-time employees are compensated beyond base salary through our total rewards package that includes (but is not limited to):
- flexible scheduling options determined by role;
- medical, prescription drug, vision, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance options
- an outstanding 10% employer contribution to your retirement plan (no contribution requirement for non-exempt positions)
- generous paid time off, including vacation and sick time, a community service day, and 19 paid holidays (including two full weeks off for Winter Break!)
- full-time and part-time members of the faculty and staff are eligible for tuition remission for themselves. Additionally, full-time members of the faculty and staff are eligible for tuition remission for their spouse/spousal equivalent and are eligible for various tuition programs for their children. Credit for full-time benefits eligible employment at other institutions of higher education will be applied to waiting periods.
- a comprehensive employee wellness program including program incentives
- a myriad of other benefits, including parental leave, an employee assistance program, fitness center membership, and the power of your Bucknell ID card
To learn more about Bucknell's benefits, click here! (*Eligibility criteria and waiting periods may apply.)
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. We endeavor to enhance our capacity to value and capitalize on the cultural richness that diversity brings. We encourage all individuals to apply and do not discriminate in admissions, employment, educational programs and/or activities on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, sex/gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, marital or family status, military or veteran status, or genetic information.
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 60 majors and 70 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,700 undergraduate and 30 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors on scholarly and artistic projects.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its undergraduate students. Student life is vibrant with about 200 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletics teams, a robust arts culture, and a commitment among many of the students to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Lewisburg (pop. 5,700) is located in central Pennsylvania and features beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), a variety of restaurants, shops and boutiques, and the Barnes & Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. It is the seat of Union County, which has about 44,000 residents.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is within a three-hour drive of New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and outstanding opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School consistently ranks among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend