Director, Industry Partnerships & Experiential Learning
Job no: 497249
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Other, Academic Affairs
The Director of Industry Partnerships & Experiential Learning in the College of Engineering will work closely with the Engineering Dean’s Office, the Small Business Development Center, Associate Director of Corporate, Foundation & Government Relations, and the Executive Director of the Center for Career Advancement to strengthen and expand project partnerships in line with the University and College strategic plans. The Director will work with the faculty and staff of the College of Engineering and Small Business Development Center to identify partners capable of sponsoring design projects, research projects, internships and experiential learning opportunities for all students.
Reports to: Associate Dean of Faculty, College of Engineering
12 month, Exempt
• Identify and liaise with partner organizations that can provide projects that fit the parameters of student design projects, research projects, internships, and experiential learning opportunities in engineering.
• Identify appropriate contacts in industry within organizations that are interested in Bucknell students and undergraduate engineering education. Develop relationships with key personnel and solicit them for project support. Maintain a pipeline of sustainable projects and partners. Maintain a database of sponsors and contacts.
• Research and analyze industry, market, and institutions of higher education, including engaging with relevant professional development, to make informed strategy decisions.
• Examine, evaluate, and refine the university’s sponsorship process on a regular basis to continually enhance the student, staff, faculty, and sponsor experience.
• Serve as the liaison between partners, students, and faculty members before and during the course of project implementation. Communicate best practices and lessons learned to partners and members of the engineering education community. Facilitate effective communications among faculty, engineering administrators, partner contacts, students, and other stakeholders involved in design projects, research projects, internships, and experiential learning.
• Provide feedback and guidance during student project reviews and panels. Survey partners regarding project progress and outcomes.
• Work with the Program Coordinator, technical staff, Office of Sponsored Projects, and Finance Office to maintain budgets and monitor costs against budgets for all projects. Manage the fees and costs structure associated with sponsored projects such that this position and the overall program are financially sustainable.
• Work with the College of Engineering’s Manager of External Relations and Communications and Bucknell communications personnel to develop marketing materials aimed at increasing global exposure, interest from prospective students and parents, and collaborations with the College of Engineering.
• Oversee planning and coordination of various events, visits and trips such as sponsor (current and potential) visits, College of Engineering Senior Design Luncheon and Expo, and relevant field trips.
• Work with the Dean’s Office to engage Bucknell engineering alumni and board members in project and recruitment activities.
• Support project collaboration opportunities between the College of Engineering, Freeman College of Management, and College of Arts and Sciences.
• Expand recruitment opportunities for students through collaboration with the Center for Career Advancement and external organizations seeking student hires.
• Work with department chairs and faculty to write proposals to industry prospects for sponsoring design, research, internship and experiential activities in the College of Engineering.
• Write reports for partners/project sponsors of activities describing outcomes and impact, including an annual report.
• Enhance Bucknell’s exposure through strategic travel and presentations at corporations and conferences.
• Work collaboratively with all university staff.
• Support and contribute to the University’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• Additional duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• At least three years of relevant experience in industry or higher education, specifically in areas of developing partnerships with external organizations, collaborators, and funders.
• Strong project management and organizational skills.
• Relevant experience securing funding and resources to support projects.
• Demonstrated analytical and critical thinking skills.
• Demonstrated ability to successfully work towards strategic goals.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently, manage multiple responsibilities, and adjust priorities in a busy environment.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, professionalism, and ability to build positive relationships with internal and external constituencies.
• Excellent writing, oral communication, and organizational skills.
• Ability to handle confidential information on a routine basis.
• Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office products including Word and Excel; database systems and data entry; Google software and a variety of web browsing programs and ability to adapt to changing technology and systems.
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
• Master’s degree
• Strong leadership ability
• Business development experience
This is a full-time, year round, benefits eligible position.
This role is not budgeted for visa sponsorship at this time, all candidates must be authorized to work in the US at the time of submission of the application.
This is a Staff Exempt position with a hiring range of $58,000 - $72,500 (E09). The offer rate will be based on a review of the candidate's credentials compared to the qualifications of the position, internal equity, and our overall compensation philosophy.
Eligible full- and part-time employees are compensated beyond base salary through our total rewards package that includes (but is not limited to):
- flexible scheduling options determined by role;
- medical, prescription drug, vision, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance options
- an outstanding 10% employer contribution to your retirement plan (no contribution requirement for non-exempt positions)
- generous paid time off, including vacation and sick time, a community service day, and 19 paid holidays (including two full weeks off for Winter Break!)
- tuition remission, exchange and grants for the employee, spouse/spousal equivalent, and children (with credit for full-time, benefits eligible employment at other institutions of higher education)
- a comprehensive employee wellness program including program incentives
- a myriad of other benefits, including parental leave, an employee assistance program, fitness center membership, and the power of your Bucknell ID card
To learn more about Bucknell's benefits, click here! (*Eligibility criteria and waiting periods may apply.)
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. We endeavor to enhance our capacity to value and capitalize on the cultural richness that diversity brings. We encourage all individuals to apply and do not discriminate in admissions, employment, educational programs and/or activities on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, sex/gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, marital or family status, military or veteran status, or genetic information.
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 60 majors and 70 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,700 undergraduate and 30 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors on scholarly and artistic projects.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its undergraduate students. Student life is vibrant with about 200 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletics teams, a robust arts culture, and a commitment among many of the students to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Lewisburg (pop. 5,700) is located in central Pennsylvania and features beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), a variety of restaurants, shops and boutiques, and the Barnes & Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. It is the seat of Union County, which has about 44,000 residents.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is within a three-hour drive of New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and outstanding opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School consistently ranks among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend