Job no: 496899
Position type: part-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Other, Academic Affairs
The Animal Caretaker is responsible for the monitoring and care of animals and supports the Biology, Psychology, Animal Behavior, and Neuroscience Programs. Animal care at Bucknell is a necessary and critical component that allows Bucknell to be in full compliance with Federal Regulations regarding animal housing and care. This position reports to the Animal Caretaker Manager.
• Animal handling, feeding and food preparation.
• Monitoring of food and liquid intake for animals.
• Provision of adequate environmental enrichment.
• Early detection of signs of illness, injury, pregnancy, or abnormalities in physiology or behavior.
• Routine cleaning of cages and animal living spaces.
• Maintaining close contact with faculty and student researchers, as well as with the University's consulting veterinarian, especially when a problem is detected or suspected.
• Attend regular training as directed to keep abreast of changing regulations and standards of humane animal care.
• Keep records of day-to-day animal care (e.g. including feeding, cleaning, health checks).
• Other duties as assigned.
• Previous experience and training in animal care
• Demonstrated ability to obtain training by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) to be certified as a Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT)
• Ability to work weekends and holidays
• A current and valid driver's license
• Some immunizations are required
• Caretakers are expected to have good communication skills and be comfortable using email and Microsoft Word and Excel
• Above a minimum of AALAS-LAT certification, AALAS Laboratory Animal Technician (LATG) certification is preferred, or a willingness to pursue the additional training required for qualification as a LATG
• Knowledge of animal care within the context of biomedical research
• Previous experience in a clean room environment
• Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds without accommodation
• Exposure to laboratory animals and their waste products
• Requires indoor and outdoor work including exposure to inclement weather
This is a casual, part-time, non-benefits eligible positoin.
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 60 majors and 70 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,700 undergraduate and 30 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors on scholarly and artistic projects.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its undergraduate students. Student life is vibrant with about 200 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletics teams, a robust arts culture, and a commitment among many of the students to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Lewisburg (pop. 5,700) is located in central Pennsylvania and features beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), a variety of restaurants, shops and boutiques, and the Barnes & Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. It is the seat of Union County, which has about 44,000 residents.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is within a three-hour drive of New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and outstanding opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School consistently ranks among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend