Assistant Director of Multicultural Student Services
Job no: 496738
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Student Affairs
This position is situated within Diversity and Inclusion, a division of student affairs which houses International Student Services; Lesbian, Gay Bisexual Trans* and Queer Resources; Multicultural Student Services; Religious and Spiritual Life; and the Women’s Resource Center. The Assistant Director of Multicultural Student Services is an integral member of Diversity and Inclusion, providing a broad range of high touch, high impact resources aimed at retention, success, support, and programming for the multicultural community as well as the broader student body at Bucknell University. Major responsibilities include coordinating the Together Everyone Achieves More (TEAM) mentoring program (a growing peer mentoring program for underrepresented students with 60 scholars and mentors who have weekly activities ranging from individual and staff meetings), managing social gatherings and academic readiness programs, advising student organization, and assisting in educational outreach programming (such as UnHerd, a series of in-depth social justice trainings and workshops). This position reports to the Director of Multicultural Student Services.
Provide programming and support.
• Co-Direct and Coordinate TEAM Mentoring Program.
• Co-facilitate on-going leadership development opportunities.
• Regularly meet with TEAM mentors.
• Coordinate with mentors, monthly cultural, social and academic programming.
• Support the development of a strong community.
• Co-direct the RAMP-Up! Pre-Orientation Program for incoming students.
• Recruit, screen, select and train the Peer Assistants and Peer Leaders.
• Plan, coordinate and execute all aspects of RAMP-Up! programming.
• Assist in transporting participants to/from various events.
• Facilitate sessions on high school to college transition and student success.
• Be available for emergencies in conjunction with the Director of Multicultural Student Services.
Develop and distribute marketing content for the Multicultural Student Services programs:
• Coordinate the Multicultural Student Services Web Page maintenance with the Communications Department.
• Responsible for the management and design, inventory, and distribution of print and electronic publications.
• Assist in maintaining a social media and virtual presence.
Provide coordination and assistance for outreach programming such as workshops, lectures, and training in the UnHerd Series.
Coordinate and plan the annual Civil Rights Spring Break Trip.
• Set up pre-departure orientation, meetings, and curriculum.
• Plan transportation, lodging, and site visits.
• Implement advertising and application procedures.
Collaborate with Residential Education.
• Work in consultation with residence life to communicate break-time opportunities, storage, and meal accessibility.
• Work directly with Residential Education to support the 7th Street House, an African-American Heritage themed community, and La Casa (a Latinx community themed housing option).
• Work closely with the Resident Assistant and affinity leader for 7th Street and La Casa in order to support programming efforts for the house and the broader community.
Serve as a liaison to student organizations.• Communicate and coordinate plans for campus-wide events initiated by Multicultural Student Services and related departments.
• Assist student organizations to create programs that complement the goals of Multicultural Student Services.
Participate in meetings & professional development opportunities.
• Attend individual meetings with the Director of Multicultural Student Services.
• Attend departmental staff meetings, divisional meetings, and other meetings as required.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Master’s degree in Higher Education, Student Affairs, or related field
• At least one year of full time or equivalent experience working with underrepresented populations in a college/university setting
• Driver’s license with clear driving record for a minimum of two years
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite as well as ability/willingness to learn programs such as InDesign, Adobe, Photoshop, and Google platforms.
• Strong intercultural competence and interpersonal communication skills
• Awareness of issues related to socioeconomic status, gender identity and expression, sexuality, race and ethnicity, ability, national origin, religious and interfaith, and the relationship between power and privilege
• Demonstrated experience managing student staff and complex projects
This position will require evening and weekend work to support certain department events/programs.
• Three years of related experience
• Demonstrated commitment to career growth in higher education
• Marketing and communication skills especially with regard to use of technology, social media
• Experience managing events, including assessment and evaluation of effectiveness
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 60 majors and 70 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,700 undergraduate and 30 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors on scholarly and artistic projects.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its undergraduate students. Student life is vibrant with about 200 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletics teams, a robust arts culture, and a commitment among many of the students to community and global service work.
Lewisburg (pop. 5,700) is located in central Pennsylvania and features beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), a variety of restaurants, shops and boutiques, and the Barnes & Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. It is the seat of Union County, which has about 44,000 residents.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is within a three-hour drive of New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and outstanding opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School consistently ranks among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend