Facilities Maintenance Assistant
Job no: 496728
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Bucknell is seeking a Facilities Maintenance Assistant, which is a physically active position responsible for providing a wide variety of support to Campus Operations including general labor, custodial, groundskeeping and basic trades support to the Trades Technician, Groundskeeper, and custodial staff. You will be involved in a variety of campus maintenance projects including maintenance on buildings, mowing, lawn and shrubbery installation, construction support, set-ups/tear-downs for campus events, operating equipment for snow removal, leaf collection, moving furniture, and a wide range of other tasks relating to the operation of the Bucknell Campus. If this interests you and you have a wide range of skills – apply today to become a part of the Bucknell Facilities team!
This is a full-time, benefits eligible position.
Job duties include:
● Performs work as required in support of University and student-related programs and supporting other special events including, but not limited to, coordinating campus moves, erecting and dismantling platforms, tables, chairs, and other special event activities.
● Performs minor maintenance tasks in basic plumbing, carpentry, and painting to assist in completing work orders and work requests.
● Performs groundskeeping and custodian work on campus grounds.
● Ensures work is performed in a safe and appropriate manner. Immediately reports accidents, injuries, security violations, stolen or missing items, and safety hazards and conditions to a supervisor. Checks fire extinguishers, fire alarms and emergency lights as required.
● Responsible for the proper safekeeping of master keys. Opens and locks doors as needed.
● Operates and maintains a variety of hand and motor driven tools and equipment to perform building maintenance. Uses shop equipment, bench stocks, materials and supplies. Operates and maintains various types of grass cutting, and groundskeeping and custodial equipment.
● Stores, mixes, transports, applies, uses, and disposes of various materials in accordance with Safety Data Sheets (SDS), the Hazard Communication program and manufacturer instructions.
● Works as a team member with others in providing general labor services throughout the campus as needed
● Adheres to OSHA standards, employs safe practices, and follows safety policies/procedures. Uses PPE in a safe manner, sets examples for others, notifies supervisor of potential hazards, and demonstrates good housekeeping habits.
● Supports and promotes the University's sustainability efforts.
● A minimum of one year of experience that includes physical labor and/or maintenance work.
● Demonstrated ability to learn and use small tools and equipment.
● A valid driver's license and a safe driving record for the past three years.
● Demonstrated ability to understand oral and written instructions.
● Demonstrated ability to work with a minimum of supervision.
● Must communicate and work effectively with coworkers, students and other staff members.
● Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusiveness
● A high school diploma or equivalent
● The ability to work weekend, evenings and overtime as needed
● Bending, kneeling, stooping, pushes, pulling, reaching above and below shoulders, lifting.
● Must use proper safety equipment for hearing, head, eye, feet, hand and body protection as required.
● Move, lift and carry up to 75 pounds unassisted.
● Daily exposure to dust, dirt, cleaning detergents and chemicals, odors, body fluids and waste, weather and temperature changes.
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 60 majors and 70 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,700 undergraduate and 30 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors on scholarly and artistic projects.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its undergraduate students. Student life is vibrant with about 200 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletics teams, a robust arts culture, and a commitment among many of the students to community and global service work.
Lewisburg (pop. 5,700) is located in central Pennsylvania and features beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), a variety of restaurants, shops and boutiques, and the Barnes & Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. It is the seat of Union County, which has about 44,000 residents.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is within a three-hour drive of New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and outstanding opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School consistently ranks among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend