Director, Gift Processing and Data Management
Job no: 496727
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: University Advancement / Alumni Relations
University Advancement (UA) is here to advance the mission of Bucknell University by engaging the Bucknell community. It is only through the support of alumni, parents and friends – by opening doors to career opportunities, engaging others to join the conversation and community, and entrusting us with their philanthropic commitments -- that we can further elevate Bucknell as a leader in undergraduate education.
Our team is dedicated to this mission and unified by five values:
Lead with Integrity
Embrace a Collaborative and Inclusive Spirit
Be Open and Receptive
Nurture Creativity and Innovation
Foster a Culture of Empowerment and Knowledge
These values also illustrate how we bring, as a division, the University's strategic plan to life and exercise our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion on a daily basis.
As part of UA, the Director, Gift Processing and Data Management leads a program that provides the infrastructure for UA including database management, reporting, gift and biographical records management, and works with advanced online and technical solutions which help to minimize risk and maximize philanthropic performance. This position reports to the Associate Vice President for University Advancement, Strategic Advancement Services & Campaign Administration.
This position is a part of Strategic Advancement Services and Campaign Administration, which is comprised of five areas: Advancement Information Services (AIS), Gift Processing and Data Management (GPDM), Stewardship and Donor Relations (SDR), Estate, Trust and Gift Planning (ETGP), and UA Operations.
Serves on the Strategic Advancement Services and Campaign Administration Leadership Team, understanding the overall goals of the University and University Advancement, the role that Gift Processing and Data Management play in reaching those goals.
- Develops goals, strategies, and best practices for the recording of gifts and the acquisition, entry, integrity and maintenance of University Advancement data
- Conducts periodic reviews of business processes for efficiency and quality
- Plays a key role in developing advancement policies such as documentation guidelines, campaign counting, etc.
- Stays abreast of new technologies related to gift processing and data management and makes recommendations, including ways that automation may prove more effective and efficient
- As necessary, serves as a representative on various university committees related to data and the data governance committee
- Serves as the lead and the primary contact with University Advancement staff members and other University departments regarding issues pertaining to gift administration. This includes providing oversight for the accurate processing of all gift and pledge transactions annually, which includes ensuring all pledges and gifts to the University are processed and receipted accurately, adhering to all policies and standards, and on a timely basis.
- Independently researches issues as they arise and works with BU’s general counsel, our outside tax counsel, the finance office and others, as necessary, to ensure that we are following best practices and are compliant with IRS regulations and CASE guidelines
- Independently researches gifts or possible gifts received by wire and gifts of mutual funds or other to determine legal donor, proper allocation, and type
- Manages fiscal year pledge write offs and adjustments as directed by finance and provides fiscal year end reporting
- Works with the Finance Office, SDR and university budget administrators on the creation of new funds
- Maintains gift documentation and serves as the liaison with Finance for internal and external audit, providing documentation requested for gift and pledge transactions
- Works with the Director of AIS on annual VSE reporting
- Supervises the acquisition and imports of data into the CRM system for the benefit of University Advancement and campus partners
- Provides administrative support for special projects related to gift and record management
- Assists UA and Campus Partners in strategies to implement processes for importing data from third party platforms into CRM systems
- Facilitates the integration of new data by working with cross functional teams.
- Functions as a data oriented subject matter expert
- Monitors and evaluates the daily data entry with thorough periodic integrity reporting
Maintains an advanced understanding of CRM and works closely with the Director of AIS to ensure the way that the revenue and data is being entered can be effectively reported.
- Is able to flag issues and explain highly technical problems to colleagues with widely varying degrees of technical understanding
- Where trade-offs are necessary, works with the Associate Vice President to finalize and communicate prioritizations and final decisions
Serves as an active participant in drafting all gift and pledge policies and procedures to ensure UA has the ability to accurately enter, record and report on these gifts.
- Manages staff who oversee the day-to-day operations of Gift Processing and Data Management
- Conducts performance reviews and regular meetings
- Provides direction, mentorship, and goals for direct reports
- Empowers individuals to be prudently bold, data driven, highly intentional, constituent centered, and forward thinking
- Responsible for the department budget
- Reconciles the budget monthly, working with Assistant Director, SDR
- Plans for the yearly budget
- Identifies opportunities to leverage existing events, programs, and mailings of other departments to advance the goals of stewardship and recognition
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and five years of experience in records and gifts processing or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Familiarity with federal and Pennsylvania state tax laws, especially as they relate to charitable giving
- Experience supervising staff
- High level of attention to detail
- Working knowledge of relational information systems
- Excellent organization, prioritization, judgment, and problem-solving skills
Other Requirements -
This position requires occasional evening and weekend work to support UA’s events including blocks of time for major events such as Family Weekend, Reunion, and Homecoming, and other event support as required. Staff should mark their calendars for major events and events in their department. Exceptions require supervisory approval.
Exempt employees are required to work as much time as is necessary to fulfill the requirements of the position without additional compensation, even if the work is performed beyond standard work hours.
- Experience with nonprofit fundraising and records and gifts processing
- Higher education experience
- Experience with Blackbaud CRM and a wide variety of software is of significant importance, with the ability to train users in the most effective use of this software
- Working knowledge of Planned Gifts
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 60 majors and 70 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,700 undergraduate and 30 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors on scholarly and artistic projects.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its undergraduate students. Student life is vibrant with about 200 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletics teams, a robust arts culture, and a commitment among many of the students to community and global service work.
Lewisburg (pop. 5,700) is located in central Pennsylvania and features beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), a variety of restaurants, shops and boutiques, and the Barnes & Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. It is the seat of Union County, which has about 44,000 residents.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is within a three-hour drive of New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and outstanding opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School consistently ranks among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend