Communications Officer (3rd shift)
Job no: 496641
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Public Safety
This position works as part of a team in the Public Safety Communications Center at Bucknell University to maintain communications between Public Safety personnel, the Bucknell community and external constituencies. The Communications Officer will perform a full range of duties in a 24 hour communication center to include answering routine and emergency telephone and radio calls, dispatching officers, providing information, fire/intrusion monitoring, use of NCIC and JNET criminal/traffic computers and monitoring all incoming camera video. This is a full-time, benefits eligible position reporting to the Manager, Communications & Security Technology. This Communications Officer position will generally be scheduled to work 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
● Monitor and operate the surveillance system.
● Operate the NCIC/JNET (computerized index of criminal justice information) system/computer to retrieve information for patrol officers.
● Operate the emergency alert and notification systems.
● Dispatch officers and personnel to all incidents, alarms, and emergencies on campus.
● Maintain an accurate log of operations in the Informant System according to Federal Communications regulations.
● Answer all routine and emergency telephone calls and provide information to visitors at the Public Safety office as well as the Bucknell Community.
● Coordinate service and communicate, as necessary, with staff, students, faculty and outside agencies and organizations.
● Issue all equipment for lock up staff and contract security.
● Contact Student Medical Driver for transportation to medical facilities.
● Coordinate and contact Facilities for routine and emergency calls after hours and submit work orders for repairs across campus as needed.
● Monitor the fire, intrusion and panic alarms on campus and at Bucknell owned off campus facilities and monitor river levels for potential flooding.
● Assist Residential Life during holidays, breaks and after hours with building access duties.
● Stay abreast of all departmental and university policies and procedures.
● Must obtain and maintain APCO and EMD Certifications.
● High school diploma or equivalent,
● Strong written and communication skills and the ability to speak clearly and distinctly.
● Ability to exercise sound judgment and work independently
● Ability to handle all types of emergencies and situations in a calm, efficient and mature manner
● Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
● Ability and willingness to learn and accurately follow all policies of the University and procedures of the department.
● Experience operating computers
● Proficient and accurate typing and data entry skills
● Ability to work all shifts to support the 24/7 operation.
● Ability to obtain Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO) and Emergency Medical Dispatcher (EMD) certifications
● Previous law enforcement, security, safety or dispatch training or related experience.
● Ability to remain seated for long periods of time required
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 50 majors and 60 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,600 undergraduate and 100 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its students. Residential life is vibrant with about 150 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletic teams, a robust arts culture, and a strong student commitment to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Located in central Pennsylvania, Lewisburg features a variety of restaurants, beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), charming shops and boutiques, and the Barnes and Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. About 33,000 residents live in the region.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is about three hours from New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living here is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and many opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School is consistently ranked among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend