Manager of Student Employment Services
Job no: 496598
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Finance / Business Support, Human Resources
The Manager of Student Employment Services will serve as part of a high performing, cross-functional team of Finance, Payroll, Human Resources and other professionals. The success of the position requires working collaboratively with all levels of management, faculty, and staff to help create and implement Student Employment guidelines, practices, and procedures.
This role will be key in the coordination of the student employment needs of diverse offices and departments at Bucknell. The incumbent creates and maintains policies, guidelines and goals for a continued successful student employment program and will serve as a liaison between other offices including Human Resources, Finance/Payroll, Career Advancement, Financial Aid, Student Affairs, Academics, etc.
This position supports the University's mission of excellence in teaching, critical thinking and intellectual exploration through strategic innovation and comprehensive services. The Manager of Student Employment Services will ensure that Bucknell’s programs, policies, and practices support the diversity, equity, and inclusion goals of the University.
This position reports to the Director of Payroll and Student Employment Services.
• Analyzes the various processes and procedures to determine areas of inadequacies and inequitable practices. This analysis will include the review of the methodologies related to how student positions are created, staffed, and compensated. Gathers input from various stakeholders (Provost Office, Financial Aid Office, Student Affairs, etc.) to determine areas of strengths and opportunities including goals for student employment at Bucknell. Research various practices in higher education focusing on programs that have proven to be successful.
• Provides recommendations for restructuring methodologies, practices, and procedures to encourage a greater relationship between the students’ job and educational pursuits, to increase compliance with federal laws, and to align with Bucknell’s Strategic Plan. Manages the change process through a feasible timeline working with all areas across campus to implement, communicate, train, and enforce as required throughout the initial and ongoing projects.
• Develops, reviews and implements student employment policies and procedures, handbooks, guidelines, checklists, etc. in collaboration with other offices across campus, including the Financial Aid and Human Resources offices. Educate and train campus constituents accordingly in interpretation and application of policies and procedures.
• Develops reports and metrics to assess the ongoing effectiveness of the student employment program and recommends and enacts upon improvement strategies as appropriate.
• Responsible for maintaining all job postings and confirming all positions are posted to the University’s student job site. Reviews all postings and job descriptions to confirm that content is accurate, appropriate, and complies with applicable laws and policies.
• Responsible for managing compliance with various local, state, and federal employment wage and hour laws; student related laws such as federal work study and FERPA; and assisting Finance Services with tax and accounting requirements as they relate to student employment.
• Stays current on recent federal, state and case law changes and monitors labor law updates and newsletters for changes that may affect student employment.
• Conducts comprehensive departmental student staffing and compensation reviews to assist with staffing needs as related to the various student employment programs.
• Maintains accurate census information including position and compensation data for all student employees.
• Monitors student hours and schedules to verify that students are working 20 hours or less per week working with managers and students to ensure compliance.
• Oversees the process of monitoring student employment eligibility and collection of appropriate new hire information (verification of I-9 Forms, state and federal tax forms, etc.).
• Maintains and updates student pay scales ensuring fair and equitable opportunities across campus through the creation of student job categories. Works with departments to maintain proper wage rates performing student job evaluations.
• Designs and delivers campus-wide training for managers and staffing partners to include, but not limited to, management strategies, onboarding procedures, approvals, and staffing requests. Guides faculty and staff hiring managers in understanding and implementing their roles as supervisors of student employees.
• Work closely with the International Student Services Office to monitor changes in federal regulations affecting international students.
• Evaluates Bucknell’s ERP system capabilities and upgrades impacting the data and business process needs of student employment, from both a payroll and human resources viewpoint.
• Maintains configurations of all supervisory organizations and security roles related to student employment in the University’s Human Capital Management module.
• Act as liaison to academic assistants, administrative assistants, program coordinators, office assistants and others who support student employment in their departments.
• Serves as student employment representative in various meetings and projects across campus.
• Supports and contributes to the University's commitment to diversity and inclusion.
• Bachelor's degree and three years of directly related experience in HR or student employment
• Experience developing, communicating and administering policies and procedures
• Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills and the ability to present effectively to small and large groups and facilitate discussion
• Demonstrated sound judgment and critical thinking skills; ability to manage multiple priorities and administer broad range of tasks including resolving complaints, coaching and counseling managers and employees on policies and procedures
• Technical proficiency in relevant applications such as MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), or other systems such as payroll or HRIS to effectively gather, interpret, organize, and present data
• Ability to collaborate, influence and command the respect and confidence of campus partners and have the capacity to deal with a wide range of student employment issues
• Strong organizational skills; evidence of self-motivation; demonstrated ability to plan, schedule and work both independently and in teams within a service oriented organization
• Demonstrated success managing multiple projects and competing priorities while balancing the need for quality with meeting deadlines
• Related experience in higher education or service-oriented organizations with broad and diverse employee groups such as exempt, non-exempt, part-time, full-time, and seasonal, among others
• Familiarity with human resources, finance and/or payroll enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems
• Strong knowledge of FERPA and Federal Work Study guidelines
• Preferred SHRM certification
• Experience working with Workday
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 50 majors and 60 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,600 undergraduate and 100 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its students. Residential life is vibrant with about 150 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletic teams, a robust arts culture, and a strong student commitment to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Located in central Pennsylvania, Lewisburg features a variety of restaurants, beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), charming shops and boutiques, and the Barnes and Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. About 33,000 residents live in the region.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is about three hours from New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living here is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and many opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School is consistently ranked among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend