Tenure-Track position, Civil Engineering
Job no: 496426
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Civil & Environmental Engineering
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) at Bucknell University seeks applicants for an open rank, tenure-track faculty position in civil engineering with a specialty in geotechnical engineering, starting in August 2020. We seek a teacher-scholar with broad teaching and scholarly interests who will be able to use inclusive pedagogies to teach successfully to a diverse student body. While teaching is the most important aspect of the candidate’s responsibilities, scholarly work in peer-reviewed venues and active service also are essential. The CEE Department offers B.S. and M.S. degree programs in civil engineering and environmental engineering and includes faculty in structural, geotechnical, transportation, environmental, water resources and construction engineering. Candidates are expected to have an earned doctorate in civil engineering, or a closely related engineering field, at time of appointment. An ABD may be accepted with the understanding that the PhD must be completed by the beginning of the second year of appointment.
The application materials of successful candidates will
• Articulate their plans to provide outstanding classroom and laboratory instruction in geotechnical engineering fundamentals, advanced topics, and design;
• Describe how they will be able to contribute more broadly to the civil engineering curriculum by teaching introductory courses in other sub-disciplines of civil engineering or common civil engineering courses, such as engineering materials, mechanics, probability and statistics, numerical methods, and/or graphics;
• Describe their commitment to diversity and inclusive pedagogy and any relevant experience, expertise, or plans in these areas;
• Discuss their plan for developing and sustaining a productive and innovative program of scholarship and research in a primarily undergraduate context;
• Discuss their willingness to contribute to university and professional service, potentially through a discussion of prior service to their university, discipline, community, and/or society.
Applications must include a cover letter, a teaching statement (2 pages maximum), a research statement (2 pages maximum), and a current curriculum vitae. Applicants also must provide references upon request. Applications are only accepted through Bucknell's careers site. Please go to jobs.bucknell.edu to apply. Applications will be reviewed beginning on October 15, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.
Bucknell University is a private, highly ranked, primarily undergraduate, national liberal arts institution that also offers strong professional programs in engineering, management, education, and music.
Bucknell University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The university believes that students learn best in a diverse, inclusive community and is therefore committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education are encouraged.
Bucknell is committed to creating a climate that fosters inclusion, growth, and development for a diverse student body, and seeks candidates who are also committed these goals.
Bucknell is committed to supporting the teacher-scholar model of faculty development. With a student-faculty ratio of about 9:1, small class sizes are a hallmark of the Bucknell educational experience. The university sponsors a range of activities to support the development of its faculty, including a Teaching-Learning Center and generous research support and leave policies.
Bucknell is located in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, on the banks of the Susquehanna River. The Lewisburg area offers a combination of outdoor recreation opportunities and small-town amenities. In addition to the cultural and athletic events offered at the University and in town, the region offers strong schools and medical facilities, and an affordable cost of living. Bucknell is about three hours from Philadelphia, New York, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend