Associate Dean of Students for Health, Wellness, and Safety
Apply now Job no: 496136
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Student Affairs
The Associate Dean of Students provides strategic leadership, vision and direction for key campus initiatives including Student Conduct, the Counseling & Student Development Center, Bucknell Student Health and the Nutritionist. Reporting to the Dean of Students (chief student affairs officer), the Associate Dean will serve as a member of the leadership team in the Division of Student Affairs.
• Provide leadership and supervision of the offices listed above, as well as supervision and management of additional staff members, graduate assistants, and student workers employed by these offices, in coordination with individual departmental directors and in accordance with University policies and procedures.
• Build a cohesive team among the Health, Wellness and Safety staff and facilitate collaborations needed to accomplish departmental and office goals and priorities. • Collaborate with other Associate Deans and their teams within the Division of Student Affairs and with other leaders, faculty and staff across campus to promote and advance the priorities of the Division of Student Affairs and University. • Lead an ongoing strategic planning and assessment process for the area of Health, Wellness and Safety. • Assist in the design, development, implementation, interpretation and evaluation of policies and procedures for effective program administration. • Assist all service areas with strategic planning, prioritization and implementation of relevant goals and objectives. • Identify trends, best practices, and visionary strategies to assist each area to reach the most successful outcomes for Bucknell’s continued future. • Assist in the development and oversight of the budgetary and financial planning process for each area of Health, Wellness and Safety.
Student Health and Nutritionist
• Oversee Student Health and nutrition programs with a focus on prevention, education and promotion of healthy lifestyles. • Serve as the liaison to Geisinger Health System to effectively administer the existing contractual relationship for student health services. • Chair an alcohol and other drug team tasked to develop initiative and policies centered on prevention and intervention. • Oversee the implementation of alcohol and other drug educational programming. • Create and manage the campus wide distribution of the bi-weekly health and wellness publication. • Evaluate and make recommendations regarding the current and future success of programs in the existing service areas. • Meet regularly with Medical Director and Nutritionist to effectively assess, administer and manage services.
Counseling and Student Development
• Support the Director in the overall management of the Counseling Center services. • Provide direction, guidance, consultation and supervision to clinical and support staff regarding services. • Oversee a range of counseling services to include personal/social, academic, career, crisis intervention, and short-term psychological support.
• Manage and lead student conduct initiatives assisting in the development and administration of policies and programs and assessment of program effectiveness. • Oversee the management and revision of the Student Handbook. • Serve as an Administrative Hearing Officer and conduct administrative hearings for students who have violated the Code of Conduct. • Oversee the training and facilitation of the Community Conduct Board. • Develop programs, policies and procedures that promote social responsibility among students and educate students about that responsibility. • Respond to requests for references, recommendations, and Dean's Certifications for students transferring from Bucknell, applying to professional schools, etc. • Oversee the coordination of the on-call process in collaboration with Residential Education.
Student Affairs Leadership Team Member
• Assist with the management of Student Affairs departmental projects, strategic plans and staff development. • Serve as a member of the Students of Concern committee and other divisional and University committees. • Attend and actively participate in divisional staff meetings and retreats. • Serve in an on-call rotation with other divisional colleagues assisting with the coordination of student emergency responses. • Serve as a class adviser to one of the undergraduate class congresses. • Travel and attend off-campus events and meetings representing the University and Division of Student Affairs. • Maintain a high degree of visibility and availability to students, faculty and staff. • Complete other duties as assigned. Minimum Qualifications: • Master's degree • At least seven years of comprehensive higher education experience related to at least one of the areas this position supervises • Demonstrated leadership and supervisory experience in higher education settings • Excellent communication and interpersonal skills • Strong commitment to student growth and development • Ability to work collaboratively and successfully across cultures and styles at all levels of the organization • Ability to cultivate and maintain strong relationships, and build consensus and support • Sensitivity to issues related to socioeconomic class, gender identity and expression, sexuality, race and ethnicity, privilege and power relationships, and transitions to adulthood Preferred Qualifications: • A doctorate degree or juris doctor degree About Bucknell
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 50 majors and 60 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,600 undergraduate and 100 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its students. Residential life is vibrant with about 150 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletic teams, a robust arts culture, and a strong student commitment to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Located in central Pennsylvania, Lewisburg features a variety of restaurants, beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), charming shops and boutiques, and the Barnes and Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. About 33,000 residents live in the region.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is about three hours from New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living here is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and many opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School is consistently ranked among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time 13 Sep 2018
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend